Thoughts and Memories

Just a man and his thoughts

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Writing Practice (2)

This is an all too familiar scene. A room devoid of all colors. Nothing really stands out from the ordinary. The shelves are choke full of files which contains what I presume are drafts. The chairs and tables are all wooden. The same old standing fan is plugged into the power socket in the corner. Only the occasional figurine differentiates this failure of an office with the rest. I wonder... Do all the editors in the world have the same boring room?

What I'm going through now is hardly anything foreign either. Sitting down facing an almost grumpy man who is currently reviewing my drafts. The minutes experienced felt like hours. And even without doing anything, I'm breaking out into a cold sweat. This nervousness of mine should have long been conquered, but it always reemerges at the wrong time. As usual, this is a make-it, break-it moment. Maki said she had a good feeling about this one. Maybe the editor will share her sentiments? My thoughts are suddenly interrupted by a loud clearing of throat. I looked up to see the editor with a grim look. Damn, this didn't work out either..

"Rejected. Sorry, but we cannot accept this."
"I... I understand. Sorry for wasting so much of your time."

I gave a polite bow to the editor and walked out quickly.

This feeling of dejectment isn't new either. I always end up feeling this way after a trip to the editor's office. This makes the sixth draft already. I must be breaking some sort of rejected manga drafts record by now. This also poses a new problem: What the hell am I supposed to survive on next month? My paltry savings can only last me till the end of the month, and that's already pushing it. Ugh. Well, guess I can try to look on the bright side. Maki owes me dinner now. Knowing Maki though, it probably isn't going to be a very good meal. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. At least that's one meal I don't have to worry about.

As usual, Maki is waiting for me at the cafe near the editorial. All these thinking nearly made me forget that I was supposed to meet her straight after. I walked into the cafe. This is hardly a fancy cafe. Everything about this place is ordinary. The decor in here makes my plain room look like a hotel suite in comparison. That's okay though. Maki and I like this place because it reminds us of home. Not to mention the foodand beverages served here are a lot cheaper than those fancy joints. I kinda wonder how the owner stays in business for so long though, given the fact that Maki and I were his only two regulars.

"The usual please."
"Ah, that friend of yours have already ordered for you. Still want a second cup of Joe?"
"Uhh, yeah sure, why not? Couldn't hurt to drink more."
"Coming right up then."

And sitting over at the far end of the cafe with a blank look on her face was Maki. I can't really consider outselves to be childhood friends, especially since we only got to know each other in high school. Back then, she was one of the few who did not laugh at me when I wrote drawing in our future career form. We've been getting along ever since.

Maki was apparently lost in thought as she failed to notice me approaching. My butt meeting the soft cushioned chair seemed to have changed that fact however, as she quickly looked up in surprise.

"That took longer than usual."
"How'd it go?"
"No good this time either. Looks like you owe me a meal."
"That fat lecher rejected your drafts again?"
"Yeap, he did."
"I wasn't surprised somehow though. Kinda thought this would happen again."

"Here's your coffee."
The cafe owner set down a steaming cup of hot coffee on the table. Without saying another word, he walked back to his usual place bshine the counter. Instinctively, I reached out for the handle of the cup and proceeded to take a sip. Tastes normal, as usual. But it always has this flair to it.

"Too much coffee isn't good for your health y'know?"
"Ah, give me a break. I happen to like coffee. A little extra wouldn't hurt."
"Don't expect me to help you when you're suffering from a heart attack."

She looks grumpy. Maybe it's because I didn't manage to make the cut again. Or maybe it's just because of my caffeine addiction.

"So what's next for you?"
"I don't know. Try again perhaps?"
"Ever thought of changing editors instead? You still have your old drafts right? I'm sure one of them will be successful."
"Ah, well. I told myself that this is a personal challenge I'm giving myself. If I'm able to get through this guy, I should be able to conquer everyone else right?"
"....."
"Sometimes I wonder where you get all this positiveness from."
"Well, fine. Keep working on it. I'm always behind you."
"Thanks Maki, I wouldn't be able to last this long without you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home