Thoughts and Memories

Just a man and his thoughts

Monday, April 27, 2009

Daytime Post

This is one of the rare times that I blog during the daytime. Taking a break off from my manga script writing, and I thought I'd blog a little.

Looking back at my previous posts, I realized, "Wow,I was really pissed off while writing those." Yeah, all unhappy posts. In a way, I use this blog to vent off my frustrations and worries, because there are none that is willing to listen to my rant. Ranting to a wall or an open field, or even the computer screen works better most of the time. But I digress, that's not the point of this entry today. I was hoping to lighten the mood in here a little.

Regarding my Games Development track, I still hate it, but mainly only because of one module. I can excel in the other modules without any problems. Also, I realised that this Diploma wasn't a COMPLETE waste of time. I learned various shading and shadowing techniques in class today. And for once, I was WIDE awake. I didn't even need my morning coffee. I haven't applied the stuff I've learned today to my drawings, but these will help me immensely next time when I become a full-fledged mangaka. There are still other topics that I haven't learnt yet, but from the title of said topics alone, I'm able to determine that those will help me in my future career as well. Communication Skills isn't a waste of time unlike what most people say. Okay, the presentation skills part are indeed a waste of time, I agree, but the other topics... Ah, now we're talking. Basically, you learn how to be a better person in there. It also helps that the tutor teaching the module is extremely friendly and kind too. But yeah, all in all, Communication Skills isn't a waste of time. In fact, I look forward to Fridays because I get to attend said module in the morning.

My manga (Yes, I can proudly call it mine now) is going pretty well. The script is half-done, but I'm still working on it. One thing that I'm not good at penning down are the fighting scenes though. Sure, there are only a few fighting scenes that I've planned for my manga, but upon reading what I've written down, I feel that the fighting parts needs to be turned up a notch. Basically, I find that it sucks. It may be because that I really dislike animes or mangas with too much combat involved. But yeah, I may need some help revising my script in this department.

The genre of my manga is basically locked at 'High School Life, Comedy, Romance'. It was originally meant to be a 'Slice of Life' manga as well, but I feel that this aspect didn't really tie in to the story, so I took it out completely. There will be plenty of comedy, but only some romance. Because frankly, I have an extreme lack of female characters to work on. Drawing female characters is my forte as well. Crap.

The main problem with designing male characters is that there's an extreme lack of archetypes to base them on. Did you ever see a male Tsundere in the mangas and animes that are currently out in the market before? I think not. And I absolutely reject the mere idea of a male Tsundere. Most males archetypes are loud and violent in any case. Anyway, I have to work on a grand total of 24 male characters, not counting the side-characters. That's 24 different male character design and concept I have to think up. I have the protagonist, or the 'main character' in layman terms. He's your standard cliched protagonist. Stupid, bad at studies, absolutely clueless that somebody is in love with him, but in most cases turns out to be the leader of different events, and is generally friendly with everybody. Yeah, cliched. I have the typical class bully. Loud, violent, doesn't do homework, skips classes frequently, beats up people, and all that. I have the male bookworm, the Otaku, the pervert, the pretty boy, the popular guy, the shota character, and that comical character you see in every manga or anime. Yeap. Pretty much everything...

It's my first manga, and I have recieved advice from several friends and veteran mangakas alike to limit my character cast to 6 or so main characters, because casting 34 main characters (a whole class) at once is no easy feat. Character development for some characters will undoubtedly be made a whole lot shorter, or even non-existant because of the limited amount of *space I have. And not to mention I'm currently doing this manga project alone. I want to stick to this path though. I mentioned that it was a promise to my old class, that my first manga will be our 'High School Story'. To that end, said friends wished me luck in my endeavours, and said mangakas had offered me story ideas in which I could use. Excellent bunch of people. I guess Otakus help each other out.

Finally, this will be the only thing that is "unhappy" in this post.

Start Unhappy

I was recently hit with the news that our plans to go as the Phoenix Wright cast for Cosfest 2009 was to be cancelled because the other two attendees had to serve in the National Service. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't unhappy about it, so I won't mince words here. I AM unhappy, because that was the only thing that was available for me to look forward to during this tough period. Now I have zilch to look forward to. I DO have my manga, but that's totally different from having a fun day hanging out with your friends. But at the same time, I do understand that they had no choice in the matter, because this was a compulsory thing. So ultimately, I should be blaming the government. One direct bomb dropped in the middle of Singapore and all our military "might" will be rendered useless anyway, so why bother? I still firmly believe that National Service should be an optional thing, like other countries. But well, I don't blame the two of my friends. No malice at all towards the two of them.

End Unhappy

That's it. Back to script writing.

*Editors usually limits the mangaka to not more than 7 - 12 books, unless your manga really takes off and is popular amongst the masses, in which the maximum number of books allowed is removed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home